[vbox-dev] vbox 3D implementation

DONG HE hedonghust at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 03:45:18 GMT 2014

Hi Mikhail,

You are right. I managed to build the WDDM drivers and OpenGL driver
without any problem.
Currently my understanding is that chromium commands is a command packet
wrapper in which OpenGL state values are packed. The packer
(GuestHost\OpenGL\packer) is built as VBoxOGLpackspu.dll that VBoxOGL.dll
will use, meanwhile, there is a VBox HOST process interprets and execute
the OpenGL commands (HostServices\SharedOpenGL\unpacker).
At this point I am still unclear on some details. Can you please enlighten
me on a few questions? Really appreciate!
1) The 3D application running on guest OS creates render target (surfaces)
where the render result goes in, I wonder how the render target are handled
across the guest OS and the Host OpenGL servie that is doing the real
rendering.

2) Suppose we have a very simple D3D application which just draws a
triangle, essentially, this app goes through D3D runtime and  asks the user
mode driver to create context, allocate at least two buffers - vertex
buffer, and render surface, I feel that only the render surface buffer
creation request will go to WDDM kernel mode driver ddi function DDI
function CreateAllocation, the context and vertex buffer will convert to
OpenGL context and vertex buffer. If I am right, the kernel mode driver
allocate the render surface and pass back the address to user mode driver,
then host service gets the render target and performs rendering on it, when
the user mode driver knows the rendering is completed it informs the kernel
mode driver and DDI function render or present copies the render target to
framebuffer to finally present the result. This is my understanding to the
whole process. If I have any misunderstanding or even not close, can you
please walk me through the process how the simplest d3d app manages to draw
a triangle and finally presents on the screen?

Best regards,
Dong