[vbox-dev] IPS package

Thomas Gouverneur list at espix.net
Wed Apr 2 12:45:20 GMT 2014

Ram,

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to automatise it,
although I find it better than nothing to benefit from the IPS packaging
rather than the SVR one.

On another side, we can still display a big
fat warning when the user is trying to install/upgrade with the
instructions to get this done the proper way.

What do you think? Could
this be integrated?

--Thomas

Le 2014-04-02 11:29, ramshankar
venkataraman a écrit :

> On 31/03/2014 23:06, Thomas Gouverneur wrote:

>> Ram,
>>
>> Thanks for your answer.
>>
>> 1. Yes
>>
>> 2.
Yes, considering that you need to run an 'svcadm restart
virtualbox-run-once' service that gets installed with the first
installation. Then, when an upgrade is done, this service is responsible
to upgrade drivers and/or services at its next start. (so either
manually, or, indeed after a reboot).

>> Does that make sense?

So it requires manual running of a service to make the upgrade work? Is
it possible to automate this somehow as part of the IPS upgrade
procedure itself?

2014-03-31 13:49, Ramshankar a écrit :

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for
the work and the heads up, but before I look into this, a couple of
questions:

>>> 1. Does the installation work without requiring
reboots (drivers are loaded and active after installation)?

>>> 2.
Does upgrading VirtualBox versions work without requiring reboots (old
drivers are unloaded, removed and new ones are installed and loaded)
?

Gouverneur wrote:

> [...]
I've been asked some time ago to write a converter from SVR to IPS
packages for VirtualBox to allow the installation of VirtualBox and of
the extension pack through IPS. I wonder now if this work can be useful
upstream too?!

https://github.com/tgouverneur/VBox-SVR2IPS [1]
repository can be found there:
http://mdma.igh.cnrs.fr/vbox/en/catalog.shtml?show_all_versions=1&action=Refresh
[2]

packages converted using the scripts present inside the GitHub
repository listed below.

with Solaris 11.1.

discussion to see what would those package be missing to allow a
possible upstream adoption, so we can all have IPS upstream packages of
VirtualBox in the future?

>> --

--Thomas

--