[vbox-dev] disk I/O crashes of FreeBSD 9.1-P7 guest on Mac OS X 10.8.5 host

Axel Rau Axel.Rau at chaos1.de
Sun Sep 22 11:38:51 GMT 2013

Hi,

This VM exists 6 month now and worked perfect.
Recently I upgraded the host from 10.8.4 to 10.8.5.
Today, I started the VM after a break of 2 month after upgrading VBox to 4.2.18r88780.
After that, I updated freebsd 9.1 to 9.1-P7 using freebsd-update.
Everything worked perfect so far.
Then I did a portsnap fetch and a portsnap update, which froze the VM immediately (lots of directories/file had to be removed).
After a few seconds the VM started rebooting but was unable to find the root disk (a SATA drive), until I powered down and restarted.
This was reproducible.
After that I switched the disks to a IDE controller: Same crash on portsnap update. Only difference: It completed its reboot.

Nothing interesting in the logs.
This is a 6-core Xeon, 2 cores dedicated to the VM.

Questions: Has this combination of host/guest OS versions been tested?
What can I do to further help finding the cause?

Thanks, Axel
---
PGP-Key:29E99DD6  ☀ +49 151 2300 9283  ☀ computing @ chaos claudius