[vbox-dev] registervm error webservice but works using cli

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Sep 9 18:41:27 GMT 2013

Hi Alex,

On 28.08.2013 20:22, alexandre.devely at orange.com wrote:
> Hello Devs,
>
> On Linux Ubuntu(precise_amd64), i ve got an error using the Webservice
> to register a VM, this error does not occur using the command line.
>
> I want to register a VM using the vboxwebsrv (runas vbox user). I use
> IVirtualBox_openMachine and IVirtualBox_registerMachine.
>
> IVirtualBox_openMachine fails using webservice :
>
> exception VirtualBox error: Cannot attach medium
> '/mnt/nfs/volcbdata/demoAlexWindowsXp/demoAlexWWindowsXp-disk1.vdi'
> {b3cf56ef-48ba-4dc8-9efc-77a64c43e534} from snapshot
> '775ed2f4-fd3e-487d-8963-f8ae4515eccd': medium is already in use by this
> snapshot! (0x80BB000C)

Is the webservice running as the same user as below?

> But if i use the command line "vboxmanage registervm", it works using
> the same file
>
> vbox at pbox:~$ vboxmanage registervm
> /mnt/nfs/volcbdata/demoAlexWindowsXp/demoAlexWindowsXp.vbox
>
> vbox at pbox:~$ vboxmanage list vms
>
> "demoAlexWindowsXp" {2bac5ce4-4e95-4573-b42f-29c3536c58a1}
>
> vbox at pbox:~$
>
> I use the last release VirtualBox 4.2.16
>
> Why does the command line work ?

Really no idea - the webservice is just converting its API calls to the
normal local API (without adding/removing operations or re-grouping
them), so if you do the same thing (in the same account) starting with
the same files then the result has to be the same.

Scratching my head...

Klaus