[vbox-dev] Problem with Guest Additions 4.3 in Windows guest

Magnus Madsen madsen.magnus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 09:08:41 GMT 2013

Hi Andreas,
I am using the API directly - and quickly testing, it looks like it is
working if I try to use VBoxManage.

I just went through the source for VBoxManage and I found the problem :)

It looks like you are required to use IGuestProcess.WaitFor to wait until
the session has been started - but only if the Guest Additions in the VM
using the new API version 2 (for VirtualBox 4.3)

This might be a good idea to have documented in the SDKRef document, as the
description for IGuest.createSession doesn't mention this and it seems a
bit strange that it is only needed when the Guest Additions are the newer
version.

(There is no need for separate logic for the older versions of the
additions - the WaitFor command successfully works in this case as well)

Many thanks!

Magnus