[vbox-dev] Svn Commit 48852 breaks build an Fedora17.x64 and Fedora18.x64

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Wed Oct 9 18:59:13 GMT 2013

Hi Peter,

On Wednesday 09 October 2013 20:03:09 Peter Gsellmann wrote:
> Am 2013-10-09 11:33, schrieb Frank Mehnert:
> > On Tuesday 08 October 2013 13:39:20 Peter Gsellmann wrote:
> >> error messages are:
> >> undefined reference to `dlopen' ( and other functions of libdl )
> >> /home/peter/VirtualBox/vbox/src/VBox/Runtime/r3/xml.cpp:402: undefined
> >> reference to `xmlSetExternalEntityLoader' ( and other functions of
> >> libxml2 )
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> How can i fetch the SVN version corresponding do Release 4.2.18_88780 ?
> >> Obviously not by  svn update -r88780
> >> Also not by  svn switch http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/tags/88780
> >> Also  svn log | grep 88780  doesnt reveal.
> >> Is there a public document of the relation of the Build-number to
> >> SVN-number ?
> >
> > We don't publish the SVN repository for the branch releases, too much
>
> Not even a small text file with the last build number in root-directory?

as the name says: branch builds are done from a branch, not from trunk.
The public subversion repository is a mirror of our internal trunk.

> > maintenance effort, sorry. Just use the tarball which is part of every
> > release.
>
> This means, eventually the release tarball is patched and eventually not
> existent in the SVN repository?

As I said, release tarballs are taken from branches. But yes, there is often
no direct relationship between the public repository and a branch release.

> So another question: if my intention is to deliver a patch upstream is
> it better to base it on SVN or on tarball?
> ( svn diff is a much simpler way to produce a patch )

It makes more sense to create a patch against the public SVN.

Regarding your problem: I've just tried to build vbox-img from the public
repository and I was successful. Do you see line 118 in

  src/VBox/Storage/testcase/Makefile.kmk

  ifdef SDK_VBOX_LIBXML2_LIBS
   vbox-img_LIBS += xml2 lzma
  endif

SDK_VBOX_LIBXML2_LIBS should be defined by your AutoConfig.kmk (generated by
the configure script). I don't see these two libraries in your command line
and I wonder why ...

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher