[vbox-dev] Create a new virtual PCI device?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Oct 7 10:18:33 GMT 2013

Hi Jim

On 25.09.2013 21:39, Jim Paradis wrote:
> My company is in the process of developing a new type of PCI Express device.
> I would like to be able to create a simulated version of this device and "plug
> it in" to a VirtualBox.  I know there's a facility called PDM that supports
> such a thing, but I'm having a devil of a time figuring it out.  Is there any
> decent documentation that steps one through creating a virtual PCI device?
> What I've seen so far (e.g. the comments in PDM.cpp) is rather spotty… am I
> missing something?

The entire Devices directory is full of "sample code" which is probably
indirectly the kind of documentation you're looking for - there is some
documentation in the underlying PDM code, but as you noticed this isn't
enough to figure out easily what needs to be done for a real-world
device emulation.

As there is so much variation in the needs of the devices there is most
likely no documentation which addresses precisely your needs, as your
needs are probably unlike anything we needed so far. The sample extpack
contains a very simple driver sample (MS BusMouse, an ISA device) to get
started, but you'll need a PCI device so probably a good sample would be
the network chip or storage controller emulations.

Klaus