[vbox-dev] Visual Studio multithreaded debugging broken in VirtualBox
petr.v at mujmail.cz
Tue May 7 11:26:24 PDT 2013
thanks for reply. The issue is reported for various Intel CPUs only yet,
unfortunately there are probably few developers using AMD based machines.
There is valuable feedback to the issue https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9659
especially latest reports. To summarize it:
- it affects Visual Studio 2008, 2010, 2012 breakpoints in .NET code made via
Visual Studio code editor
- it does not affect breakpoints in native C++ code (at least has not been
- it does not depend on host OS, it is reported for Windows, Linux and Mac hosts
- it affects both x86 and x64 Windows guests
- it affects both x86 and x64 debugged process in x64 guest but the error
behavior is usually different
- the issue seems to be more visible and frequent with latest VirtualBox
- disabling Nested Paging does not help
- setting single CPU only in virtual machine and VirtualBox.exe (host) process
CPU affinity to single CPU (via Task Manager -> Set Affinity) have noticeable
effect on the number of occurrences but the issue is still there anyway.
The most simple C# code example to always reproduce it is:
Hope this helps.
Ramshankar wrote, On 2.5.2013 23:22:
> Firstly, thank you for the report.
> I will try test this later this week or next week, I'm hoping setting up a test
> VM won't take long...
> We're aware of issues involving hardware debug breakpoints and exceptions
> (especially on Intel). Unfortunately, I cannot give you an estimate of the fix.
> Just one question: Is this restricted to Intel CPUs or does it happen on AMD
> CPUs as well?
> From quickly skimming through the public report and a VBox.log uploaded 19
> months ago, I gather it's only Intel but a confirmation would be nice.
More information about the vbox-dev