[vbox-dev] Problems memory mapping files with shared folders on Linux guests.

Arya Vas Dev arya.vas.dev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 10:57:00 GMT 2013

Hi people,

I hope this is the correct place to post. I was told to post here by a
forum moderator for the VirtualBox Linux Guests forum.

This is one of my first posts, so I also hope this post is appropriate and
not an already known issue.

I am running VirtualBox 4.2.10 on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Guest. I am
running the latest version of the guest add-ins.

I am finding with my Ubuntu 11.10 i386 guest that 2 system calls fail with
files on shared folders. Specifically the calls are:

mmap (90) and mmap(192).

Both calls return error code "EINTVAL" (-12 if I recall correctly).

Everything under gdb, edb (another Linux debugger) and systrace looks right.

Using the same code on the same files, in a directory local to the Linux
installation, things work.

Is it possible this is happening because the file are trying to be mapped
including write access (PROT_READ+PROT_WRITE)?

If this is the case, will there ever be support for writable mem-mapped
files on shared folders in Linux guests?

Thank you,
AVD.79