[vbox-dev] Assign physical disks to VirtualBox VM

Sun Mar 17 15:46:08 GMT 2013

Hello all,

I'm trying to assign a few physical disks to a Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox
4.2.10 (newest) on a Windows 7 host. I read about it and saw that it's
managed like in VMWare which I use also. The VM earlier was a VMWare VM
so I converted the main disk from vmdk to vdi. This disk I can assign
without problems.

I already used the physical disks in VMWare so I simply tried to use the
existing VMDK descriptor/pointer files. This fails in VirtualBox as follows:

Errorcode:

VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)

Component:

Medium

Interface:

IMedium {29989373-b111-4654-8493-2e1176cba890}

Callee:

IVirtualBox {3b2f08eb-b810-4715-bee0-bb06b9880ad2}

Callee RC:

VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

So I tried to create the files new with VBoxManage and this fails with a
COM server error as follows:

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe"
internal
commands createrawvmdk -filename "C:\Users\Laukamp\VirtualBox
VMs\Deluge"\deluge
-PHD1.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005) -
Server execu
tion failed (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not
running or
failed to start.

The CMD is started with administrative privileges. The VBoxSVC.exe also
is running and I also tried to restart it on CMD to see errors. No
errors appeared it started without problems.

I also tried to reinstall and tried again but this also gave me no
result. I don't know whether this could be a bug so I post this to the
users and devel list.

Would be great when someone could help me I don't know how I could solve
this problem.

Best Regards

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.