[vbox-dev] Additions-Windows: Problem with quotes in arguments

Magnus Madsen madsen.magnus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 18:38:46 GMT 2013

Hi,
I think I might have encountered a bug in the guest additions for Windows,
but I'm not totally sure.

The problem occurs when trying to start a process using
IGuestProcess.ProcessCreate with an argument that contains a quote.
Each argument given to the started process are enclosed in quotes, but if
the argument itself contains any quotes, they are replaced with a backslash.

For example the following argument:

TARGET="path"

The executable receives the following argument instead:

TARGET=\path\

I don't have any non-windows based VMs to test it on, but it is present on
both Windows XP and Windows 8 using the latest guest additions.
The problem doesn't occur with setting environment variables though - they
retain the quotes fine.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Kind regards,
Magnus