[vbox-dev] Memory address trace

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Jul 26 09:45:16 GMT 2013

Hi Paulo,

On 25.07.2013 19:00, paulo garcia wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is it possible to use VirtualBox to generate guest memory access address
> traces? (both guest virtual or guest physical addresses would be fine)

No, this would cause a giant slowdown, and wouldn't work in hardware
virtualization mode and raw mode. Effectively it'd only have a chance in
the lowest possible virtualization code path, which in a normal
VirtualBox isn't used much, the recompiler. Actually the recompiler
loses instruction address references to a certain extent, something
which would need to be fixed by adding instrumentation code.

> I am browsing the source code, trying to find a place where guest memory
> addresses (for both instructions and data) are known, but could not find
> it yet......

The whole point of efficient virtualization is not needing to know such
detailed information, and that's the reason why there is no such option.
It would be a big amount of work to add additional instrumentation to
catch the information you want (with unclear use case...) reliably, and
the VM would run very slowly.

Klaus