[vbox-dev] ahciLog messages

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Jul 15 13:10:10 GMT 2013

Hi Luigi,

On 15.07.2013 12:55, Luigi De Simone wrote:
> Hi Klaus, thanks for your answer. I also built vbox in debug mode
> (BUILD_TYPE=debug) but i haven't seen logs. I followed the guide
> VBoxLogging but without results, my goal is only to monitor the AHCI
> device.
> Therefore, I have some questions about the VBoxLogging guide:
> (i) Should I set the enviroment variables by writing them in the env.sh
> script before building?;
> (ii) I used these variables:
>          export VBOX_LOG=dev_ahci.e.l.f
>          export VBOX_LOG_FLAGS="time tid thread"
>          export VBOX_LOG_DEST=dir=/mydir
>       Are they correct?

Looks OK to me. Getting the environment variables into the right place
is a bit tricky though if you use the GUI for starting a VM. Better do
that in the command line where you set those env variables, using e.g.
"VirtualBox --startvm foo".

> You said that only LogRel() is compiled in debug builds...in order to
Whoops... that was a mixup. LogRel() is compiled in release and debug
builds, and Log() only in debug builds.

> activate Log() function, thus ahciLog(), what shall i do?

The above.

> Also Ring-0 logging must be activate with VBOX_R0_LOGGING=1 passed to
> kmk. I have done that, but without results too.

Guess it's a problem with getting the env variables to the VM process.

Klaus