[vbox-dev] Building Vbox on 64bits

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Wed Jan 30 23:29:45 GMT 2013

Hi,

I use a Linux From Scratch system and, therefore, cannot use the binary to
install vbox. Last time it made some big mess in my system due to wrong choices
from myself. But... well.

Hence, while translating the manual (yes, I start again, but with a better
method so I'm sure to success), I try building vbox from source. I use a
pur 64bits system. Can I avoid having 32bits packages? Are they absolutely
mandatory? I needn't guest additions.

So far, here's what I did and the results:

./configure --disable-xpcom --disable-pulse --disable-docs  --disable-devmapper --with-mkisofs=/usr/local/bin/growisofs --disable-vmmraw

gives:

http://sprunge.us/IiiK

and on the stdout: http://sprunge.us/EXTH

Then, I do: source ./env.sh

Then:

kmk -k -j1 all VBOX_PATH_SHARED_LIBS=/usr/local/lib/virtualbox VBOX_WITH_ORIGIN= VBOX_WITH_RUNPATH=/usr/local/lib/virtualbox VBOX_PATH_APP_PRIVATE=/usr/local/share/virtualbox VBOX_WITH_TESTCASES= VBOX_WITH_TESTSUITE= VBOX_WITH_PAM=

On the stdout, I get:
http://sprunge.us/GVdR

and the log is:

http://sprunge.us/HQbA

To sum up, most important binaries are not built.

I had believed to understand that --disable-vmmraw could avoid 32bits packages,
provided that I use VT-X instead of software virtualization. But I wonder,
from logs, if things are so simple.
But translating chapter 10, I start wonder if I really can pass such option
without any problems (as this I am experiencing).

Do I really need a 32bits toolchain next to 64bits? Hence, a multilib system?

Thanks for your help to understand the build system of vbox, different from
those I use commonly. I'd be really pleased to build of my pure 64bits without
needing multilib.

Best regards,

JPM