[vbox-dev] Intended Purpose

Maxime Dor maxime.dor at altherian.org
Thu Jan 24 10:23:21 GMT 2013

Hello Devs,

I am currently using a debian wheezy dedicated host for some Virtualbox VMs
and I've configured the network in a certain way, and I was wondering if
you intended to work it this way, and if not, what would you advise for it.

All network are in 10.60.x.x/24
Every vboxnet is a Host-Only NIC

                                       0.1             0.2              0.3
                                         |                 |

                 +---  vboxnet0---+----------------+-----------------+
                  |        0.254

Host ----------+--   vboxnet1 ---+-----------------+-----------------+
                  |        1.254        |                   |

                  |                       1.1              1.2
  1.3

                  |                      2.1               2.2
                  |                        |                   |
                  +--  vboxnet2  ---+------------------+
                           2.254

So my current setup is that I created 3 Host-only interfaces on which I
attach all the VMs belonging to the same subnet. This make the Hostonly
interface act as a switch/single broadcast domain.
I also have setup my host as the router in-between each Host-only, using
iptables to block/allow whatever I want.
My goal was to avoid an extra VM acting as a firewall/router for each
network, having these network as Internal and that VM firewall linked to a
single host-only interface.

Currently, this work great, and I am quite happy with the setup - easy to
manage, configure, no perf issues.
But my question is this one : was it the intended use? will it cause
problems if I add more VMs performance wise? Can I have side effects I
didn't notice so far?
Or is the best practice when it comes to Virtualbox is to use Internal +
routing VM + 1 host-only NIC?

Thank you for your insight on this.

Best regards,
Max