[vbox-dev] Patch available for ipv6 support on bridged connections with MAC address sharing (wifi)

Simon Vetter simon.vetter at gmx.com
Mon Feb 25 03:09:35 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I wrote a patch to virtualbox 4.2.6 that adds ipv6 support when using bridged connections and wifi.
IPv6 traffic now moves correctly between the LAN/internet and VMs running on my macbook connected through Airport.
Without this patch, ipv6 addresses are generated out of the announced prefix (VMs receive router advertisements) but user traffic doesn't cross the bridge, which results in broken connectivity and long timeouts.

Note that this is not IPv6 NAT, VMs get Globally Unique addresses out of the prefixes announced on the LAN and are fully reachable from the internet/LAN.
This will only work in bridged mode (which is what most people should use anyways), VirtualBox's NAT mode still doesn't support IPv6.

I attached the patch to bug report #5503, you can find it here : https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5503 . I also detailed my development environment and a brief technical explanation of how the patch is working.

How can I CC myself to the bug report? I either don't have enough permissions to do so or I couldn't find any way to do it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Simon