[vbox-dev] Build fails on OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Feb 22 12:57:17 GMT 2013

On 22.02.2013 01:51, Simon Vetter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anyone managed to build virtualbox on MacOSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion)?

Note that I never built VirtualBox on Mountain Lion, only on Lion...

> The build scripts tend to have the 10.6 SDK hardcoded in multiple places, but symlinking /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk to /Applications/Xcode.app//Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk (where the SDK is in newer versions of OSX) as suggested in one forum post did the trick and allowed me to go pretty far in the compile process.
> I'm still getting an error though. It looks like the PVM type is not defined anywhere.
> This is the error that i'm getting :
[...]
> Could anyone shed some light on what PVM is and what file I should include to solve this?
>
> I am using xcode 4.6 on OSX 10.8.2 (latest version, 64 bit), with the xcode console tools installed.
> The GCC version I am using is 4.2.1 (gcc version 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)).
> Configure line : ./configure --out-path=/Users/svetter/code/compiled/ --target-arch=amd64 --disable-xpcom --disable-python --disable-java --disable-docs --disable-hardening
> I have tried building with --disable-vmmraw as well, to no avail.

The build instructions page for Mac OS X
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mac%20OS%20X%20build%20instructions says
that Xcode 4.2 and later is not usable. If we make such statements they
are meant seriously. With Xcode 4.2 Apple switched from proper gcc
(which is mandatory for building VirtualBox) to llvm-gcc which only
pretends to be gcc. So you need to use Xcode 4.1.x to build VirtualBox.
There is no other choice.

Klaus