[vbox-dev] Using VirtualBox network drivers

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Aug 8 16:55:10 GMT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Gary Palter <palter at clozure.com> wrote:

 The software that runs in the emulator I'm writing needs access to the
> network.  The operating system that runs on the emulator is very old and
> requires static IP addresses.  (It has no DHCP client.)  If I were creating
> a VirtualBox VM, I would add a bridged network with a static IP to that VM.
>  But, this is an emulator for an entirely different architecture; I can't
> use a VirtualBox VM.
>
> What I want to do is use the existing VirtualBox network drivers
> (vboxnetflt, I think) in my emulator.  I want to open that driver,
> configure it (i.e., tell it what host interface to use, MAC address, IP
> address, etc), and the transmit and receive packets using the driver.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions?

I still do not understand what you want.

Are you developing a DOSEmu-like emulator? In that case, what are you using
VirtualBox for?

Or are you just adding a new architecture (e. g. MIPS) and operating system
(e.g. Coherent) to VirtualBox and then you will create a new VirtualBox VM
preconfigured for your newly-supported operating system and architecture?
The fact that you keep mentioning "I can't use a VirtualBox VM" is losing
me.

If you are doing any of the things I mention above, KVM/qemu, or even
DOSEmu seem like a more reasonable starting point. Or even a completely new
development where you would implement a DHCP client and packet forwarding.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org