[vbox-dev] VirtualBox without 3D acceleration enabled vs self compiled Mesa

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Apr 24 09:42:12 GMT 2013

Hello Divick,

On 24/04/13 11:38, Divick Kishore wrote:
>> The VMWare SVGA3D driver is based on the Gallium3D driver framework (and
>> comes as part of the Mesa driver collection), whereas the VirtualBox 3D
>> driver is based on the Chromium OpenGL proxy tool.  I don't think that has
>> changed for either from first release until now.
>
> So essentially there are two ways of achieving 3D acceleration on
> Virtual Box? One via the SVGA3D drivers which probably provide access
> to GPU and other via Chromium?
No, the SVGA3D drivers currently only work with VMWare.  As long as you
are using VirtualBox you will have to stick to the Chromium drivers.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher