[vbox-dev] VirtualBox without 3D acceleration enabled vs self compiled Mesa

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Apr 24 06:33:02 GMT 2013

Hello Divick,

On 24/04/13 06:51, Divick Kishore wrote:
> As per this link http://www.mesa3d.org/vmware-guest.html (which seems
> to be quite old though), VMware guest GL driver for 3D acceleration
> has the following renderer string:
>
> OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;
> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0
>
> while on my machine the renderer is Chromium. Why is there this
> difference? Has there been a change in the way 3D acceleration is
> achieved in latest VirtualBox guest drivers vs the old ones?

The VMWare SVGA3D driver is based on the Gallium3D driver framework (and
comes as part of the Mesa driver collection), whereas the VirtualBox 3D
driver is based on the Chromium OpenGL proxy tool.  I don't think that
has changed for either from first release until now.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher