[vbox-dev] COM API ProcessCreate and GuestProcess.Write

LeeEll info at cando.se
Tue Apr 9 20:28:21 GMT 2013

> Sounds extremely clumsy - you're trying to implement functionality which
> the guest additions provide in a much easier way: by setting guest
> properties which you can query. The complete network configuration
> should be available in the /VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/* properties. So no
> need to execute something at all in the guest.

Yes, you are right Klaus. However, i still need a way to get output from a
program i have executed on the guest and some way to send information to
that program. /VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/* is no solution!

I have change the code so i execute ipconfig directly (not via cmd.exe)
but i can't get the output from it.

Simplified process start code is now:
-------------------------------------
var cmdArgs = new string[] { }; // Empty arguments array
var envVars = new string[] { }; // Empty environment vars
var flags = new ProcessCreateFlag[] {
  ProcessCreateFlag.ProcessCreateFlag_WaitForStdOut};
var guestProcess = guestSession.ProcessCreate
( <at> "c:\windows\system32\ipconfig.exe", cmdArgs, envVars, flags, 5000);

Code to read output is:
-----------------------
System.Array output = guestProcess.Read(0, 2000, 5000);

The problem is line above that generates the following exception:
Specified array was not of the expected type.
   at System.StubHelpers.MngdSafeArrayMarshaler.ConvertSpaceToManaged
(IntPtr pMarshalState, Object& pManagedHome, IntPtr pNativeHome)
   at VirtualBox.IGuestProcess.Read(UInt32 aHandle, UInt32 aToRead, UInt32
aTimeoutMS)

I don't understand why this happens. The output type for Read method is
System.Array.

I really need help with this!!!!!!!!

Klaus Espenlaub <klaus.espenlaub at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 08.04.2013 23:01, LeeEll wrote:
> > Hi Everybody!
> >
> > I am working on a C# (.net 4.0) app that manages VirtualBox (version
4.2.1
> > r84104) on a number of slave machines. The slave machines run Win 7 64-
bit
> > and the guest OS is win XP 32-bit. I am using the COM API to manage VB
on
> > the slave machines.
> >
> > My manager app now needs to be able to execute a program on the guest
OS,
> > provide command parameters to it and to give it input via stdin and to
get
> > output from stdout. The first use of this would be to open a command
> > window on the guest, execute command “ipconfig” and get the current IP
> > addresses from the command window output. But I can’t get it to work.
>
> Sounds extremely clumsy - you're trying to implement functionality which
> the guest additions provide in a much easier way: by setting guest
> properties which you can query. The complete network configuration
> should be available in the /VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/* properties. So no
> need to execute something at all in the guest.
>
> > I get an exception when I try to write the ipconfig command to stdin.
See