[vbox-dev] my patches for VirtualBox-4.2.0 on Fedora 17+

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Sep 28 09:19:35 GMT 2012

Hello Sérgio,

On 09/27/2012 10:54 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
[...]
> as a little side note, we have in
> VirtualBox-4.2.0/src/VBox/Additions/x11/vboxvideo/Makefile.kmk  :
>
> vboxvideo_70_DEFS := IN_MODULE XORG_7X RENDER=1 IN_RT_STATIC
> vboxvideo_13_DEFS := $(vboxvideo_70_DEFS) VBOXVIDEO_13
> vboxvideo_15_DEFS := $(vboxvideo_13_DEFS) VBOX_DRI NO_ANSIC PCIACCESS
> XSERVER_LIBPCIACCESS
>
> vboxvideo_drv_70_DEFS = $(vboxvideo_70_DEFS)
> XORG_VERSION_CURRENT=700000000
>
> vboxvideo_drv_13_DEFS := $(vboxvideo_13_DEFS)
> XORG_VERSION_CURRENT=100300000
>

> what I mean when I want know what DEFS for vboxvideo_drv_113, I got to
> follow all attributions ... and can't comment any ...
The idea is to save code duplication in Make files like in C code, so
that if something needs to be changed it can be changed in one place and
I don't have to search for ages to find all the places it needs to be
done in (and hope I did get them all).  In fact if you want to see all
the defines you have to follow a lot more attributes (e.g.
vboxvideo_drv_system uses the VBOXGUESTR3XORGMOD _TEMPLATE, so you need
to look at Config.kmk to see that "TEMPLATE_VBOXGUESTR3XORGMOD_DEFS =
$(TEMPLATE_VBOXGUESTR3DLL_DEFS) LOG_TO_BACKDOOR VBOX_GUESTR3XORGMOD
RTMEM_NO_WRAP_TO_EF_APIS" and so on).  There are arguments to be made
for both sides (maintainability versus readability), and I don't deny
that our Make files can be painful to follow at times, but given that, I
don't really think that in the case of "vboxvideo_*_DEFS" it makes sense
to duplicate all the defines again when in practice we want them to be
as similar as possible for the different versions, not each one with
individual bits commented out.  Please tell me though what you would
like to change with the defines, as perhaps it will make sense for us too!

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher