[vbox-dev] my patches for VirtualBox-4.2.0 on Fedora 17+

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Sep 26 08:02:19 GMT 2012

Hello Sérgio,

Thank you for your patch!  A couple of thoughts in-line below.

On 09/26/2012 05:13 AM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> As  you may know, when we packaging rpms in Fedora, we try remove
> sources bundle.
> I done with X11, removing src/VBox/Additions/x11/x11include and
> src/VBox/Additions/x11/x11stubs
> I don't want that you do that upstream, but I had to modify some source
> vboxmouse.c, fakedri_drv.c and VBoxGuestR3LibRuntimeXF86.cpp
Wouldn't it be more sensible just to include a build option upstream to
only build one module against the system headers?  I'm not a fan of
downstream patches either, so I'm all for finding a way to make the
upstream code usable for you.  I'll give it a bit of a think and post a
patch suggestion.

> This VBoxGuestR3LibRuntimeXF86 have thing from old xfree86 4.3 ! which
> may have about 10 years.
Unless I am forgetting what my own code is for (which has happened
before!) that code is only needed for building XFree86 modules, so there
shouldn't be any need to patch it.  Whether we really need to build them
is another question of course, but as they still work every time we test
them we decided it wasn't a big maintenance effort and we didn't need to
drop them.

> fakedri_drv.c also use many old sources and would be cool if I see some
> improvements on that code.
I would rather not touch that code for now.  It needs to be replaced
with something proper as soon as there is enough developer time to spare
for it, I would prefer not waste time with it.

> You may use it, I give my permission. I though I had sign "Contributor's
> Agreement".
> I give Oracle permission to use my contribution under licenses other
> than the main VirtualBox license.
Our current preferred way of accepting patches is for the contributor to
include a statement that they submit the patch under the MIT licence,
and if applicable that they have the permission of all authors of the
code (presumably in this case that is you, Michael Meskes and Felix) to
do so.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher