[vbox-dev] Building own VirtualBox extension Pack and distribute it

Clemens A. Schulz webmaster at csz-online.de
Fri Sep 14 11:56:01 GMT 2012

Hi,

I found an entry on this mailinglist about developing an VirtualBox
extension [1] and asked myself how to compile this extension so that
it will be possible to distribute it to other people (like the
official ExtensionPack)?

Is a complete VBox SDK env needed or can the extension pack compiled
separatly?

Furthermore I have some more detailed questions on the possibilities
of the Extensions:

My Goal: I want to implement a new network adapter connection type
(like briged, NAT, etc. that are already available). This network
connection type should be connect the guest OS to a VPN (with some
connfiguration window). So it should be possible to get the network
traffic from the guest OS and put it into the own implemented
VPN-Client, which should be part of this ExtPack. Is this basicly
possible? The networktraffic from the guest OS should not be readable
from any OS network device unencrypted.

Alternativly a new network adapter could be implemnted which
represents the VPN-Client then. Is this possible/impossible too?

If both is impossible: Any other chance to get something like that running?

Thanks for your answer and have a nice day!

With best regards,
Clemens Schulz

[1]: https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vbox-dev/2011-August/004444.html