[vbox-dev] How to Register Write Monitoring Page Handlers

Adam Pridgen adam.pridgen at thecoverofnight.com
Mon Oct 22 05:02:52 GMT 2012

I am trying to monitor page writes that happen on in VM's physical
memory.  After a few weeks of digging, I think I have found the 3 API's
that might be helpful for this task, but I am not sure if these APIs are what
I should be looking at.  I guess the two questions I have are:

1) What is the best way to register a write handler over a guest's
physical RAM?
Here are the APIs I have identified:

include/VBox/vmm/pgm.h:522:PGMR3HandlerVirtualRegister
include/VBox/vmm/pgm.h:518:PGMR3HandlerPhysicalRegister
include/VBox/vmm/pgm.h:349:PGMHandlerPhysicalRegisterEx

2) Can I register a page handler from something like a COM handler?

Thanks for your help, and I appreciate any advice or help.

-- Adam