[vbox-dev] how patching is applied

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Oct 15 08:59:35 GMT 2012

On 15.10.2012 08:32, prabhjeet kaur wrote:
> Dear members,
>
> Thanks for reply,
>
> I want to know the basic understanding of patch.
> 1. How patch can be created and applied.
> 2. Where the code to generate patch is available.
> 3. patch can be applied to the disk image of virtual machine or not.
> 4. Patch can be applied to current state snapshots only or it can be
> applied to previous snapshots also.

I think you have to explain in detail what you mean with "patch",
otherwise no one can follow or help. Especially as items 3 and 4 seem to
hint that you want to modify the disk contents and not the memory state
of a VM (so the .sav file is not the right thing).

At least for 4 I can give you an answer: since snapshots are meant to be
the state of a VM as of a given time one can't modify them safely,
especially when there are child snapshots. The only disk state which can
be safely modified is "current state" (which is not a snapshot).

Klaus

> regards,
> Prabhjeet Kaur

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Dr. Klaus Espenlaub | Software Development Director
Phone: +49 7151 60405 205 <tel:+49715160405205>
Oracle VM VirtualBox

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment> 	Oracle is committed to