[vbox-dev] Problem with running VMs after upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.2.4

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Nov 27 12:16:27 GMT 2012

On 27.11.2012 08:34, Roy Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for reposting this, but I didn't get a response the last time
> around. The VirtualBox Mac Port is failing to start. The ticket can be
> found here.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/36910
>
> FYI, version 4.2.2 worked fine. It would be nice to know what changed in
> 4.2.4 so as to cause the problem. I didn't change anything significant
> on the MacPorts end.

I still have no idea what could cause this (besides the unhelpful
approach of downloading both tarballs and doing a diff) - and you didn't
provide the bare minimum information to look into an issue, especially
as this is a 3rd party build.

The basic bug reporting hints are on
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

In this case it's plain impossible say anything without VBox.log, and
it's not there in the bug tracking system. We saw such errors when one
used an unsupported/broken gcc version, but that's purely guesswork.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mac%20OS%20X%20build%20instructions says
which Xcode versions are usable. VirtualBox needs a proper gcc, LLVM
won't work.

Klaus