[vbox-dev] Crash system and *.vbox destroy !

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 05:13:22 GMT 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Dominique Bazin
<dominique.bazin at archivtech.com> wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I do not know if I'm on the good list, but I'm also develloppeur this topic
> is interresting:
>
> I had a hardware crash and i lost my config files of my vm principal.
> (virtualbox 4.2.4)
> But I have the disk (vdi) and snapshots.
> I work in the reconstruction for several days and I still have not managed
> to restart in the state of last snapshot.
> Can someone help me?

Sounds eerily familiar bug to me:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10851

I also experienced it few times, since v4.0.0, but very rarely. I
opened this bug few months ago.

Recommended real fix (for developers): VBoxSVC must write down a
history of transactions into the VM folder, per VM,
[VM].vbox-transactions file, which should list all changes to the
*.vbox file meta-data in a patch/diff format, and then, when VM
becomes "inaccessible", VBoxSVC must attempt to recover the file until
last transaction automatically, plus will allow manual recover and
debug.

Dominique Bazin: Please add your story to the bug above.
Also, those numbers are random, so I don't think it will be easy to
reconstruct the VM.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"