[vbox-dev] Problem with running VMs after upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.2.4

Roy Liu roy at eschatonlabs.com
Mon Nov 5 08:55:46 GMT 2012

Hi,

I am the maintainer of the VirtualBox Mac Port found here.

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/emulators/virtualbox/Portfile

When upgrading from 4.2.2 to 4.2.4, everything built fine, but now my VMs
fail to start and give the following error.

"""
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows Server 2008 R2.

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}
"""

Any ideas on what might have changed to cause the error? I recall that a
while back I tried compiling VirtualBox with Apple's LLVM toolchain and
that was a bust. I subsequently fell back on Apple's GCC 4.2 compiler, and
everything worked fine, until now.

Any insights you could provide would of great help.

-Roy