[vbox-dev] Fuduntu distribution patch

Stéphane Charette stephanecharette at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:43:19 GMT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Klaus Espenlaub <klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
> wrote:

> The policy right now is that we don't really appreciate such "add my
> favorite OS" contributions, especially if you completely ignore the
> structure of the existing OS type identifiers (0xTVB00 - T=OS type,
> V=variant, B=bitness).

This brings up something I've always been curious to know.  Is it
documented what this does?  I'm guessing it tweaks how VirtualBox deals
with some specific internals, but...what exactly?  And if I pick something
like Windows but then install Linux, will it work?  If I pick RedHat and
then install Ubuntu, are there any effects?  To satisfy the curiosity of
your advanced users, I would love to see something on that part of the GUI
which either pops up a bubble of help, or goes to a http link that explains
what changes when I select OS 'A' versus 'B'.

(I haven't re-read the end user document in...?  At least a year.  So maybe
this is already documented and I just haven't come across it.)

Stéphane