[vbox-dev] vrde with vnc

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Sun May 6 05:28:06 GMT 2012

On 12-03-07 01:33 PM, Christophe Devriese wrote:
> Thanks !
>
> This was based on the contributions of the FreeBSD team, so a big
> thanks to them too. And of course the libvncserver made all this
> possible in the first place.
>
> Christophe
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Klaus Espenlaub
> <klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com <mailto:klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08.11.2011 22:22, Christophe Devriese wrote:
>
>         I tried getting this integrated. It's not working. But here's
>         something
>         you can build as an extpack, and it contains docs. If anybody
>         really
>         knows how to move forward with this (maybe have an "unofficial
>         extpacks"
>         ftp location or something, where oracle doesn't claim ownership or
>         quality or anything ???)
>

>     It's in the VBox tree now... finally found some time. A few words
>     of documentation are in the manual, too.
>
>     I hope that the deb/rpm package build logic is now also working,
>     this was quite a bit of work to figure out how it should be done
>     properly. For those builds the VNC "extpack" is included in the
>     normal package, as anything else makes little sense.
>

>         Additionally, it would be *great* to have a way to get custom QT
>         interfaces and configuration file formats into extpacks. There
>         was some
>         work on this but, and it was implemented for the UDPTunnel
>         stuff, but ...
>

>     This shouldn't need custom hacking - the listen address/port
>     works, and the VNCPassword stuff shouldn't be too hard either, if
>     we get to adding generic VRDE property editing support in the GUI.
>
>     Of course a few changes are necessary, to get over the "RDP"
>     centric labels ;)
>

>         Anyway, here's the file. It shows how to build and register
>         the extpack,
>         and how to get the extpack to operate (I'm afraid you will be
>         using
>         python commands to enable this for a specific VM instance).
>
>         Also, I'm having trouble finding the time to work on this, and
>         I don't
>         really have a place to put this online. If anybody's willing to do
>         something like this ? I'd rather not put it on github or
>         something like
>         that, as it'll just get fragmented and we'll end up with 10
>         different
>         versions, all with weird bugs.
>

>     I always planned to give it a home in the VBox source tree. No
>     promises if we'll make binaries available or if we leave this to
>     others. The most likely variant is the latter.
>

>         Anyway, let me know what you think. Good luck with it.
>

>     The contribution was a great starting point. Needed some cleanup,
>     and I couldn't resist implementing some optional features, just to
>     illustrate what's possible.
>
>     Oh, and I had a go at the keyboard handling (Caps/Scroll/Num Lock
>     not handled, AltGr not handled, and keypad support was a commented
> [...]

I am trying to get a better understanding of how this all works together
in preparation for the 4.2 release (whenever that happens).

This work is based on the libvncserver project.  Does this mean that we
can use the latest version (0.9.9) with support for noVNC HTML5 VNC
Viewer (http://kanaka.github.com/noVNC/) and websockets.  I have a
feeling that we are going to need to manually compile the extension
(which is fine).

I am a little bit confused about the keymap discussion.  Doesn't the VNC
client connect directly to the vncserver?

It seems that password part is stored using the vboxmanage command.
Could this be set via the Webservice API?

Will VNC be able to be managed by the VRDE API?

thanks,

Geoff