[vbox-dev] Documenting VT-d as a network mode

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:51:52 GMT 2012

Hello,

I have looked at competitors product documentation (Parallels
Workstation), and they fully document VT-d as yet another network
mode.
Conceptually I fully agree with their approach.

VirtualBox has 3 levels of network access:
1. NAT (layer-3), uses your host's TCP/IP stack. (default)
2. Bridge (layer-2), uses your host's Ethernet driver. (bypasses
host's TCP/IP stack)
3. VT-d (layer-1), uses your host's Network Hardware. (bypasses host's
TCP/IP stack *and* host OS hardware [Ethernet] drivers).

I would like to ask the possibility of doing the same for VirtualBox.
(i.e. adding VT-d to "Chapter 6. Virtual networking")

I'm unable to help this time, due to lack of VT-d hardware.

Best wishes,
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"