[vbox-dev] How-to compile VBox GA for Linux ?

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Sat Jun 23 07:25:04 GMT 2012

On 23/06/12 08:39, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Looking at the docs:
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux%20build%20instructions
>
> ... I can't find how-to compile the guest side of the equation. (GA for Linux)
> How ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

The guest additions are built as part as the normal build for the host
platform (i.e. VBOX_WITH_ADDITIONS=1 being defined by default, see
Config.kmk).

If you're building on a Linux host, then doing a full VirtualBox build
should also build the corresponding Linux guest additions and place the
resultant binaries in "out/linux.<isa>/[debug|release]/bin/additions/"

If you want to disable building of additions you can do so by specifying
"VBOX_WITHOUT_ADDITIONS=1" or "VBOX_WITH_ADDITIONS=" in a
LocalConfig.kmk or provide it as part of the kmk command.

Since additions are enabled by default there is no need to explicitly
document additions building.

Regards,
Ram.