[vbox-dev] witch VMs from foreground to background and vice versa

Andrew Brehm ajbrehm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:21:38 GMT 2012

Hi.

On Tuesday, January 3, 2012, Joseph Smith <joseph1962smith at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> *** Oopsss ... re-replying to all ***
>
> Are you essentially asking to be able to start a VM in 'GUI' mode and
then, at some point later, make it headless ... and then even later ...
possibly making it 'GUI' (ie: non-headless) again?

Pretty much. Yes.

> Is the reason for your request to 'remove' the machine GUI from your
workspace and/or dock?  This could be accomplished by moving the VM to
another 'spaces' desktop.

I want the VM to survive my logout.

> Also ... if you are truly looking to 'disconnect' the GUI from the VM ...
wouldn't starting the VM in headless mode net you the same results?  The
only difference there being when you wanted to do 'GUI' related work you
would have to connect via VRDP.  All my VMs run headless on multiple
servers (SuSE, OS X, etc) and I connect via VRDP using a web client and/or
a RDP client (I use CoRD).
> I do agree that going the route of starting headless and connecting via
VRDP does introduce a number of challenges since features like drag-n-drop
and seamless desktop among others would no longer be available.

The GUI offers many ways to configure and interact with the VM (like
resizing the screen etc.). The feature would also allow users not to have
to decide in advance whether a given VM should run headless or not.