[vbox-dev] VirtualBox LTS (was: "The number of bug reports with virtualbox loaded are truly astonishing")

Perry Halbert phalbert at cox.net
Tue Feb 28 00:17:33 GMT 2012

I have been reading this for some time now.  Here, the forums, and IRC,
even on external links.
I didn't understand what all the fuss was about and for the most part
the whole talk about needing an LTS Build just didn't make sense.  So
either my logic is flawed or someone else's is.

Facts:
You can and did install a minimal Debian and compile or install
pre-compiled of any of the versions of VirtualBox that have been
released to date. I looked and the tarballs,.deb, & .rpm are there. If
you need to add special patches just use the tarballs.

Now since VirtualBox is a type 2 hypervisor and not a type 1, and all of
the releases are available what is the issue.  We have 3.2.14, 4.0.16
and 4.1.* to chose from and they are all being upgraded (backported)
with the appropriate fixes when applicable.

Now if you want the latest and greatest (bleeding edge) you install from
SVN which I do for all of my machines with the exception of one server
that is critical.  I leave it at the 3.2.14 version because it just works.

The flaw in logic as I see it is that some want to have the bleeding
edge (SVN) work as a stable environment and guess what?  It isn't going
to work (although I personally have not had any real issues in a long
time building from SVN).  Same with everything I use.  If I want the new
feature from any distro or VirtualBox I must be willing to put up with
issues and regressions, and I have installed just about every distro
that has been made. If however you want stability you must stay with
what works until you see that the issues or regressions have been
fixed.  Some of the new features will never be backported because some
of the changes do not fit the older version and can create more issues
than they fix.

So just like the "LTS" version of Debian 6(stable) there is 7(testing)
and SID, VirtualBox there is 3.2.14, 4.0.16 and 4.1.*

Any help in clearing this up for me is welcome but the way I see it we
already have what is being sought.

As an ending note: opening up SVN to anyone, everyone, even special
selected individuals is the worst of all bad ideas, period. The control
of quality will be gone. Please don't do it.