[vbox-dev] "The number of bug reports with virtualbox loaded are truly astonishing"

Mario Lobo mlobo at digiart.art.br
Sat Feb 25 04:37:49 GMT 2012

On Friday 24 February 2012 17:25:32 Huihong Luo wrote:
> Yesterday, when I read a Linux magizine (Linux Format ?), it has this
> sentence:
> "The number of bug reports we get from people with virtualbox loaded are
> truly astonishing.  It's GPL, but sadly that doesn't mean it's good.
> Nearly all of these bugs look like random corruption. (corrupt linked
> lists, corrupt page tables, and just plain 'weird' crashes)."
>
> It's from this thread:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/6/317
>

> >From my limited testing, I thought KVM is more buggy.

Well .... as simple testimony, I am yet to see a 'weird' crash with VBox since
I started trying it out at version 3.0.x. at home. I am at ver 4.1.8 on my
laptop (production), my home desktop (test) and a company server (production),
all running FreeBSD 8.2 stable amd64.

Of course there were bugs along the way, specially during the nvidia wait-time
for a stable FreeBSD driver, but this is long gone. The other bugs (whatever
they might be) did not affect my usage of VBox.

I work at a Microsoft company and my fellow workers switched to VBox just
because all I said about it to them was "try it". Most of them run test
environments with fairly heavy workloads, on their HP laptops (dual core, 4G,
no VT!,320 HD), all hosts are Windows 7. Guests may vary.

But when you put VBox on a compact, stable and tight-running OS like FreeBSD,
its performance really shines. I haven't tried it in any other host my self
but have seen it running on Ubuntu and Windows hosts quite regurlaly. As
guests I ran almost everything I could get my hands on, from DOS 6.1 to
imported Symantec Webguests and F5 appliances, and in-betweens like OS2s,
Macs, Androids, Windowses and various *nixes.

Here is my last attempt to do a little push on FBSD+VBox at home.

http://186.212.106.10/vms.jpg

Please read bellow for picture details.

Cheers,
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

I'll try to remember the details as best as I can. It's been a while.

HW: Phenom II 945 Black quad AMD-V/ 8G RAM / Sata II HDs / NVidia 9800 GT
Host: FreeBSD 8.2 Stable amd 64 Desktop
Xorg 7.2 - KDE 4.5

VBox: 3.1.2

Image creation: Apr/02/2010

VMS (clockwise):

1) LAB-ROBOT: XP running a script that executes Application transactions to
measure its performance (Compuware - Client Vantage).

2) Win7 - Straight IE browsing

3) LAB-APM: Win 2003 Server that works together with LAB-ROBOT to store its
results.

4) WinXP: Running an IRS check on my brasilian SS security # equivalent.

5) ChangePoint: Win 2003 fully installed test bed of ChangePoint Software
(Compuware)

6) Spyket: Fedora compiling a kernel

7) Win764: Just browsing web

The rest of the windows are just local apps and a CPU meter widget.