[vbox-dev] Make a program that list all VBoxHeadless process, and VRDE port number, using internal protocol ?

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Mon Aug 20 15:39:40 GMT 2012

On 20/08/12 13:43, Oliver Loch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> something like this should work:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> vms=$(vboxmanage list runningvms | sed -E 's/^\"(.*)\".*/\1/g');
>
> for i in $vms; do
>
>          read x _enabled x _address x _port x _multiconn x <
> <(vboxmanage showvminfo $i | grep -i vrde:);
>
>          enabled=${_enabled%,};
>          address=${_address%,};
>          port=${_port%,}
>          multicon=${_multiconn%,};
>          echo "$enabled $address $port $multicon";
>
> done
>

> cu

Thanks Aaron,

While that may work, one must bear in mind that there are many reasons
to choose to use the API instead of using output from VBoxManage. The
output of VBoxManage is subject to change without notification or formal
versioning. Also with "showvminfo" you might want to take a look at the
"--machinereadable" parameter which is typically meant for such scripts.
If you're aware of these limitations and you just want a quick solution,
then the above approach would work.

Regards,
Ram.