[vbox-dev] changeset(s) in 4.1.16 for fixing SMP VM hang after resume from pause / savestate?

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Wed Aug 15 13:34:01 GMT 2012

On 14/08/12 22:08, Li Xin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the changelog of VirtualBox Release 4.1.16, it is mentioned that:
>
> VMM: fixed a VM hang after a resume from pause / savestate with SMP
> guests in rare cases
>
> I need to pull the fix into my code base, and have examined all the
> changes between 4.1.14 and 4.1.16, but no one seems obvious.  41096
> (https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/41096/vbox) and
> 41312(https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/41312/vbox) look related,
> but really can't tell.  On the other side it's hard to verify because
> the problem only happens "in rare cases".
>
> Can someone please elaborate the changeset(s) fixing the SMP hang problem?

Why not pull all the changes?

Anyway...

r41312 is part of the optimizations with TLB flushing during world
switches. This is only in 4.2.x (BETAs and the upcoming release) and has
not been backported to the 4.1.x branch. So the change you are looking
for is not r41312.

r41096 is for the change which is documented in the 4.1.16 changelog as:
"VBoxManage: fixed controlvm savestate if the VM is already paused"

The change you are looking for is in VMMR3/EM.cpp.
Since the public trac has no convenient way to browse revision history
for files, I'm attaching the diff. of the original change; hope this helps.

Regards,
Ram.