[vbox-dev] Docs on how page fusion works?

Ribhi Kamal rbhkamal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:24:12 GMT 2012

Hi all,
Would it be possible to share some documentation on how vbox page fusion
was implemented. I know that I have the source, but it doesn't offer the
big picture and vbox is huge!

Here is what I know from reading the code, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The guest additions service scans the guest for modules (user/kernel) and
registers each module with the hypervisor on the host. Then notifies the
hypervisor to check if the pages are shared with other VMs. What I don't
understand is what happens when the hypervisor decides that two pages are
the same? And what happens if one of these pages change *after* it was
already "merged" with other similar pages.

And ,sorry to ask this, is KSM utilized when it is enabled on the host?

Thanks

--
-- Ribhi