[vbox-dev] Permission to redistribute VirtualBox guest additions for MacPorts

Ryan Stonecipher rmstonecipher at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 22:31:53 GMT 2012

> Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:13:40 +0200
> From: Klaus Espenlaub <klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com>
> Subject: Re: [vbox-dev] Permission to redistribute VirtualBox guest
>        additions for MacPorts
> To: "VirtualBox developer's list" <vbox-dev at virtualbox.org>
>[snip]
>
> Additionally it might save you time if you could make the checksum check
> more flexible. Otherwise you have to change the checksums for every
> release we make. Not our problem in the end ;)
>
>[snip]
>
> Klaus

Klaus,
MacPorts uses checksums to ensure source has not been altered,
maliciously or otherwise, between the time the package maintainer
built a port recipe and the time the user started building the package
via that recipe.
Do you update the VirtualBox source and release a new tarball with the
same version string, e.g. for high priority bug fixes?
Including a changelog and incrementing a minor revision would help
people who look at the source understand what has been fixed.
If you make undocumented changes in release versions (I've seen these
referred to as "stealth updates") and we allow non-matching source
tarballs, it could be difficult for package maintainers to replicate
user errors for troubleshooting purposes.

Ryan Stonecipher