[vbox-dev] Inclusion of the Guest Additions in Ubuntu 11.10 by default

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Thu Sep 29 20:22:49 GMT 2011

Hello Felix and all,

As an update to our discussion about how to reconcile distribution
versions of the Additions with Oracle's, I have taken care of both of
the points below.  Any future 4.1 releases will have a modified version
notifier on non-Oracle builds which advise the user that if their
distribution/distributor no longer provides current versions of the
Additions they should remove the distribution version and install ours.
  Distributors should feel free to customise the message.  And we have
also fixed the only problem we could find which would cause problems
when 4.1 Additions were used with a 4.0 host - the Guest Execution
functionality was not working in this case.  The 3D ABI is compatible
between 4.0 and 4.1, and we will try our best not to keep it compatible
in future.  So as of any future 4.1 or later releases it will be safe
for distributions to supply the most recent version of the Additions for
use with any host version as of 4.0.  (Just in case there is any doubt,
we will only be testing this for Linux guests, although chances are good
that it will apply for other guests too.)

Regards,

Michael

--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com