[vbox-dev] Storage and Guest settings. Bug or intended behaviour

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Sep 20 15:24:51 GMT 2011

Hi,

This is using the SOAP interface from Perl. When editing a guest's
settings, if storage (eg hard disk image) is attached to a controller
and then the settings of the guest are subsequently discarded
(IMachine::discardSettings), the medium still believes it is attached to
the guest, but the guest does not agree. The medium becomes impossible
to release from the guest. Secondly if you change a storage controller
type (eg IDE) from PIIX3 to PIIX4 for example, it still retains it
setting even after IMachine::discardSettings is called. All other guest
settings such as audio, network, display, memory etc get discarded as
expected.

Is this intended behaviour, a bug or am I completely missing something
in the API that I should being doing instead? I'm currently using VB
4.1.2 but I've seen this in previous releases.

--
Ian Chapman.