[vbox-dev] win 95/98 guest additions ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Sep 12 20:21:31 GMT 2011

Hello Huihong,

CC-ing the list again in case this is useful for someone else (I assume
it was just an oversight on your part though).

On 09/12/2011 10:00 PM, Huihong Luo wrote:
> When the guest window resizes, I guess the guest drvier must be
> notified, and then the guest changes the video mode? Does this mean that
> arbitrary video modes are supported?
> from BIOS view, there should be only certain number of video modes are
> supported.

When the video mode changes the notification goes through the VMMDev
event notification mechanism which I described in a previous e-mail [1].
  The notification is VMMDEV_EVENT_DISPLAY_CHANGE_REQUEST - see the
recently-added documentation near VMMDevReq_GetDisplayChangeRequest2 in
include/VBox/VMMDev.h.  In the X.Org/X11 Additions (I think the Windows
Additions do things similarly) a user-space client listens for these
events and sends notifications to the drivers.  Using
VBoxVideoSetModeRegisters() or the HGSMI APIs we can set any video mode
(see also VBoxVideoAnyWidthAllowed() for completeness), not just those
offered by the BIOS.

Regards,

Michael

[1] http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/2011-September/004524.html

--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com