[vbox-dev] vbox documentation

David A. Bandel david.bandel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 23:37:29 GMT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:38, Klaus Espenlaub
<klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 09.09.2011 18:52, David A. Bandel wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Reading the user documentation and have a suggested change.  Is this
>> the correct forum?   If not, what is?
>
> Sure, if you have something which we can apply more or less directly you're
> in the right place.

---- current documentation (copied from pdf version, p. 62) ----
4.2.2.1 Installing the Linux Guest Additions
Debian
1. In order to fully update your guest system, open a terminal and run
apt-get update
as root followed by
apt-get upgrade
2. Install the make tool and the GNU C compiler using
apt-get install make gcc
3. Reboot your guest system in order to activate the updates.
4. Determine the exact version of your kernel using uname -a and
install the correct version
of the linux-headers package, e.g. using
apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.26-2-686
------ end current documentation ------
------ recommended change ------
Debian
1. In order to fully update your guest system, open a terminal and run
apt-get update
as root followed by
apt-get install module-assistant
2.  Run the module-assistant to install all necessary dependencies:
m-a prepare
accept the recommended installations.
----- end recommended changes -----

Normally, gcc, make, kernel-headers, dkms, and more are installed with
the above.  This is by far the easiest way to satisfy all dependencies
to build kernel modules.  No reboots necessary until after the guest's
kernel modules are installed.

> Klaus
>

>> Thanx,
>>
>> David A. Bandel