[vbox-dev] Haiku operating system guest additions.

Mike Smith scgtrp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:33:17 GMT 2011

>  - there's a virtual PCI device which seems to indicate the presence
> of a VBox host ("VBoxGuest")
I think "vmmdev" may be the term you're looking for here. VBoxGuest
seems to refer to the driver for it.

>  - "HGCM" seems to be some kind of low-level Host-Guest communication layer
s/layer/manager/, but yes. As far as I can tell it's just an
abstraction layer over stuffing things into vmmdev's address space in
the right order.

>  - VBoxGuestLib seems to be a kernel-mode library for the various
> different services that sits on top of HGCM and/or the PCI device (?)
There is also a ring 3 VBoxGuestLib that communicates to the kernel
side via ioctls on /dev/vboxguest (or your OS's equivalent).

>  - OS-Specific glue to connect the services with the OS APIs (vfs, etc.).
This is where most of my work was - for the lower-level stuff you'll
have to ask François or one of the official VirtualBox developers.