[vbox-dev] Inclusion of the Guest Additions in Ubuntu 11.10 by default

Felix Geyer debfx at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 26 16:52:53 GMT 2011

On 29.09.2011 22:22, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Hello Felix and all,
>
> As an update to our discussion about how to reconcile distribution versions of the Additions
> with Oracle's, I have taken care of both of the points below.  Any future 4.1 releases will have
> a modified version notifier on non-Oracle builds which advise the user that if their
> distribution/distributor no longer provides current versions of the Additions they should remove
> the distribution version and install ours.  Distributors should feel free to customise the message.

I think we need another way to show the user that an update is available since these popup
notifications are usually truncated (depending on the notification daemon) after a fixed amount
of characters and are only displayed for a short time.
Maybe you could display a QSystemTrayIcon?

> And we have also fixed the only problem we could find which would cause problems when 4.1
> Additions were used with a 4.0 host - the Guest Execution functionality was not working in this
> case.  The 3D ABI is compatible between 4.0 and 4.1, and we will try our best not to keep it
> compatible in future.  So as of any future 4.1 or later releases it will be safe for
> distributions to supply the most recent version of the Additions for use with any host version
> as of 4.0.  (Just in case there is any doubt, we will only be testing this for Linux guests,
> although chances are good that it will apply for other guests too.)

That's great news. Thanks for your work on keeping the guest additions compatible.

Regards,
Felix