[vbox-dev] VM Memory space: region in BIOS - patching/override possible?

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Tue May 31 12:29:13 GMT 2011

Hello, all!

i have an old box ( 128MB RAM, 13GB HDD, DOS + Win98 - and that is after
several upgrades :-)  )
      it has a DOS program, that can maybe never be used, but need to be
kept
      the program is copy-protected: is "attached" to last 16 bytes of BIOS,
those F000:FFF0 to :FFFF
      the rest of BIOS is not to be the key, but "BIOS creation date"
definitely is.

      Can this be reproduced in VirtualBox or VMLite ?
      I mean that part of "stock" BIOS been replaced by pre-given data and,
if
possible, write-protected like BIOS on real hardware is ?

// BTW, it does have some LPT port with key as well, but that's a
different story, i hope :-)

      i do not need the whole BIOS. only a little part.

      last 16 bytes are reserved for
      1) 5-bytes JMP FAR command, for CPU cold-start
      2) the rest is BIOS creation date and is not code. I don't remember if
in
plain text or BCD or something.

      Both these can be harmlessly patched, after virtual machine CPU
kick-started.

      But that may require some plugins creation (if there is proper API) or
even some source patching, creating API/settings.
      So, since you have knowledge of internals of VBox, i think u maybe can
say.

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/