[vbox-dev] Internal Networking -- multiple MAC on a single machine

Ribhi Kamal rbhkamal at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:13:30 GMT 2011

Thanks! I would really like to know how virtualbox 4.1 rules will work and
if possible suggest a few things to consider while implementing/designing
4.1.

The VMs right now are used as a Bridged-VPN client with the following
network configuration:

<virtualbox VM1 (GUI)>  --- vbox internal network ---- <vboxheadless VM2
(VPN Client)>  === (encrupted traffic)

Corp. Net.  ------  < VPN Concentrator>   ==== Internet

VM1 has a single interface connected to inet1
VM2 has one interface connected to inet1 and another natted interface.

Will virtualbox 4.1 be able to set a rule on VM2 to say anything from VM1 to
any destination mac address is allowed and everything else is blocked?

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Ribhi Kamal <rbhkamal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems like the switch behavior is not simulating a real switch %100. A
> > real switch can have multiple MAC addresses on a single port, however,
> vbox
> > internal networking seems to allow only one MAC per machine per
> interface.
> >
> > Is that correct?
>
> AFAIK Yes, and VirtualBox 4.1 (Alpha) fixes it, by allowing to
> configure what to allow and what to deny.
> For now, you can try VDE vSwitch, if you happen to run on Linux host.
> (it has no such limit)
>
> --
> -Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

-- Ribhi