[vbox-dev] Docs Review: VirtualBox Limits

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:05:31 GMT 2011

>> Example Hyper-V docs:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee405267(WS.10).aspx
>
> Thanks for the link - I tried to find such docs for Hyper-V (and others) a
> while ago and failed...

Ohh... here is one for VMware vSphere ESXi 4.1:
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_config_max.pdf

(I was unable to find official docs for VMware Workstation, but some
forum users say that VMware Workstation 6 quacks after 27 VMs -- no
data on WS 7.1 or WS 8 BETA, and no data on Microsoft VirtualPC
either)

> For hosted products it's difficult to document the details, as some OS
> settings which determine the maximum number of VMs may be different in each
> distribution/installation... what makes it worse is that VirtualBox is
> available for many platforms.

We can provide in footnotes a link (inside our docs, that says how-to
change limit of the average distro.)

Say like this:
*** Number of concurrently running virtual machines: 8192 VMs (Linux 64-bit) [1]

[1] Since we are a hosted hypervisor (type 2 VMM), different versions
of host OS can affect this limit, but here is the rough idea how to
configure your host OS properly. [link-to-Chapter 9. Advanced topics]

(plus we must write some docs on how to configure common cases, such
as semaphores, open files, etc...)

>Right now you have way too many "Linux"
> restrictions in your draft.

This is because I am not too familiar with other Host OS'es limits
very much... how about running VirtualBox on Windows Server 2008 R2
Datacenter ? or Mac OS X ? (Mac looks to have a lot more limits, if
VBox 4.0.6 could not make it past 16 cores)

> Overall it's a good idea, especially as the really hard limits are usually
> much higher than any competitor.

Yes, I was kinda shocked to learn it... because VirtualBox originally
started like 100% desktop virtualizer, like VirtualPC.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"