[vbox-dev] Linux Host VM Cap?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon May 2 17:01:21 GMT 2011

On 01.05.2011 17:56, Knut St. Osmundsen wrote:
> Hi Zak!
>
> The VMM imposes a limit of 1023 VMs on 64-bit hosts and 127 VMs on
> 32-bit hosts. See:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/GVMMR0.cpp#L121

That means your plan to have 1800 VMs will not work without bumping the
hardcoded limits, and in this area it needs much more thinking than just
changing a #define.

Anyway, let's get you to that limit first...

If you run "ipcs -ls" you'll get a "max number of arrays = 128" line,
which is what you're most likely bumping into.

You can read the kernel defaults with "sysctl kernel.sem" as well, and
the last number needs to be increased to a bit more than 1023, just to
be on the safe side if some other app also needs a few semaphores.

"sysctl -w kernel.sem=250 32000 32 1200" should eliminate this limit.
You can also put this in /etc/sysctl.conf, so that it is set straight on
system boot, as otherwise these settings are lost on a reboot.

So... how many VMs can you start now?

Klaus

> Seeing you have 2TB of memory and 128 cores, I would assume you're
> running 64-bit Ubuntu. So, it is probably some other limit that you're
> hitting. It could be SysV semaphores, it could be memory available below
> 4GB, ... Could you please provide some more details regarding what
> happens when you are unable to launch more VMs? For instance, does a new
> VBox.log file get created for the VM? If it does, please zip it up and
> send it to me (or Klaus) per private mail and we'll work it out.

I think the 64bit host OS assumption is safe... I would seriously ask
people to have their brain inspected if they'd use a 32bit OS for this.